Development from a mechanical engineering company to a global systems provider
We have come a long way evolving from a mechanical engineering company to a global systems provider and we look forward to continuing to make history for generations to come.
The salesman Friedrich Scheidt and the engineer Carl Bachmann found the company Scheidt & Bachmann in Mönchengladbach. During the first years Scheidt & Bachmann produces textile machines, transmissions and small steam-powered machines.
The founders shift the production to mechanical signalling systems.
Friedrich Scheidt resigns from the company.
Scheidt & Bachmann receives its first patent for a "drive device for barriers“.
Rudolf Kraft (2nd generation of the associated family), a son-in-law of Ing. Carl Bachmann, joins the company as junior manager.
Scheidt & Bachmann relocates the registered office to a newly established plant in Rheydt which today is a district of Mönchengladbach.
Carl Bachmann is awarded an honorary doctorate (Dr.-Ing. h.c.) in recognition of his efforts in the railway safety. The first electro mechanical interlocking system is introduced.
Scheidt & Bachmann begins with the production of petrol station systems.
The management shifts the legal form of Scheidt & Bachmann from a general partnership to a public limited company (AG). Friedrich Miller (3rd generation of the associated family), a son-in-law of Rudolf Kraft joins the public limited company’s board of directors.
During the Second World War Scheidt & Bachmann is almost fully destroyed by bomb attacks. The restoration begins immediately after the war ends with 100 of the original 1,000 employees.
The management of Scheidt & Bachmann transforms the reinvigorated public limited company into a company with limited liability (GmbH).
The company begins to develop and manufacture parking centre systems. Since then this business division complements the product portfolio of Scheidt & Bachmann. At this time microprocessor technology is integrated for the first time. Scheidt & Bachmann is Europe-wide among the first companies realising the potential of this groundbreaking technology and applying it in automated systems. A software development department is exclusively established for this purpose.
The parking systems product portfolio is extended with leisure centre systems. The Chairman of the management board at this time is Friedrich Miller.
Friedrich Miller’s sons, Gert Miller (joined the company in 1959) and Peter Miller (joined the company in 1958) along with his son-in-law, Herbert Elsenbruch (joined the company from 1951 till 1987), take over the management (4th generation of the associated family).
The fare collection systems business division is established and completes the four business divisions as they still are operating today.
The first European patent ever is issued to Scheidt & Bachmann for a "device for temporary storing coins of different values" by the European Patent Office.
With the wide ranging product portfolio of innovative and high quality hardware and software products, Scheidt & Bachmann begins to expand. The first step is the purchase of Verkehrselektronik GmbH as the first independent subsidiary of the company.
After Peter Miller retires in 1992 the supervisory board appoints Dr.-Ing. Norbert Miller, son of Dr.h.c. Gert Miller as managing director, putting the seal on the 5th generation of the associated family.
With the acquisition of Klaus Gindl GmbH (today Scheidt & Bachmann Kundenservice GmbH), in 1995, the first subsidiary is brought on board solely for service support. The first subsidiary with an own production facility is founded in Zilina, Slovakia. Scheidt & Bachmann USA, the first subsidiary abroad, opens its doors for business. The establishment of numerous other subsidiaries worldwide in the following two decades symbolises further continuity and worldwide growth of Scheidt & Bachmann.
Dr.-Ing. Norbert Miller takes over the managing director position from his father.
Scheidt & Bachmann invests in expansion measures in business locations such as new production and administration buildings in Mönchengladbach and Zilina.
With 25 subsidiaries, more than 1,050 patents issued (July 2016) and about 3,000 employees worldwide, Scheidt & Bachmann has established itself through continuous and innovative growth as an international system house in the mobility sector.