Smooth and safe railway operations – that is the responsible task for the staff in interlockings and operations control centres. They are assisted by complex control and safety systems, but do they know how to react correctly if operations are disrupted due to technical malfunction or sudden deviations from schedule?
Due to the high train density in railway networks, the right decisions must be made very quickly and confidently. Therefore, train controllers and dispatchers need to undergo intensive training to prepare them for all conceivable scenarios. The BEST operations and interlocking simulation provides a cost-effective solution for this purpose – practice-oriented, manufacturer-neutral, and suitable for all interlocking types.
The modular architecture of the BEST interlocking simulation system reproduces all functions of the interlocking as well as track-side installations (signals, points etc.) and of course any user-defined train and shunting movements. The wide repertoire of simulated technical and operational disruptions, accidents and hazards allows optimal training of interlocking personnel, e.g. train controllers, for their daily work, and prepares them to master every situation with confidence.
The simulator covers the following training phases:
- basic training
- interlocking operation and operational processes
- training of operating regulations
- training for commissionings
- training prior to commissioning of new interlockings
- new functions and operational procedures
- refresher training
- regular stress training and disruption management
- re-training after errors or violation of regulations
The advantages of the BEST operations and interlocking simulator:
- separation of commissioning and training
- training of the full functional scope of new interlockings prior to commissioning
- no interference with actual train and interlocking operations
- hazard-free training of incidents and stress handling
- shorter, more flexibly plannable training periods
- integration in learning platforms to assist independent learning
- reduction in costly relief measures
- independent of manufacturer and interlocking type
- better training quality